There are several ways to format hard drive from a windows computer. The hard drive we mean here is a hard disk drive, usb disk drive, external hard disk drive, MultiMediaCard (MMC), and similar storage media.
The following we will demonstrate some ways to format the hard drive that we mean above by using Windows Computer.
Some of the required preparations are as follows:
- Computer or laptop with Windows operating system
- Hard disk drive internal / external, usb disk drive, MMC
Note: If your hard disk is an external hard disk drive, then you need a connector cable or connect it directly to the computer. As an example in the picture below.
The first way to format hard drive are from File Explorer
How to format with this one, is the easiest and quick way in formatting the hard disk drive. The steps are as follows:
- Connecting the hard disk drive you want to be format to computer. This is not necessary if you are a hard disk drive partition of the computer you are using.
- Open Windows File Explorer
- Select your Disk Drive
- Right click on Disk drive or specific partition
- Select Format
- Set the settings format
The second way, format the disk drive through Computer Management
- Right click on my Computer icon
- Select Manage (on Windows 8 menu)
- Appears computer management window
- Double click on Disk Management
- In the right pane, the disk drive appears ready to be managed (in this case to be formatted)
- Select the partition or Disk Drive you want to format
- Right-click on the disk drive
- Select Format
The third way, format the disk drive from Command Prompt (CMD)
- Open Command Prompt by pressing Start + R Button simultaneously. RUN window appears, type “cmd” in the RUN window box without quotation marks. Press enter
- In the Command prompt> type the format of the Drive name or partition to be formatted and followed by a flag:
- Press Enter
- See picture below:
- Messages appear Insert New Disk for drive …
- Just hit Enter
- Disk Format Process is running
- Wait until 100%
For maximum results with more complete features such as format, partition, data recovery, surface scan, re-partition, change MBR partition, partition copy, and other partitioning features you can use the following partition tools software.
- PC Wizard – Easily Partition, Format, Clone or Backup any Size Internal or External Hard Drive Disc
- Disk Drive Cloning Tools on CD – Hard Drive Backup and Imaging Tools for the PC
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro 10.8 for PC – Digital (download link and license key will be sent by Amazon message)
- Acronis True Image 2018 Backup Software
- Data Recovery – Complete Recovery of Over 550 File Formats